Tuesday 29 March 2016

26 Saturday--Easter Activities


Every year St. Mary's Sunday School does an activity with the young people around the story of Gethsemane.  The result is a beautiful flower display that the children create with potted blooming plants.  Above is this year's result.

"Maverick" and I had lunch with friends in the afternoon, as well as spending the afternoon with them.  

With Meat on the left--and beans on the right 
On Thursday I'd cooked two pots of chili; one vegetarian and one with meat but no beans. 

Cooking two pots of chili wasn't too difficult.  I cut up celery, onions, carrots (Yes, carrots, okay!), and bell / sweet pepper to brown in oil.

To the two pan I added a packet of Old El Paso taco seasoning.  This shortcut helps with getting the flavour just right--but can easily adjust if someone wants to add tobasco sauce.  

At this point I added the meat to one pan.  Once the meat was browned, I added to both pans one tin of chopped tomatoes and 1 tin / box of passata (sieved tomotoes).  To the pan without the meat, I added one tin of pre-cooked kidney beans.  After stirring well, I let it come up to a soft boil and then turned it down to simmer for about half-an-hour.  

When it was cooked through, I turned off the heat.  I let it cool overnight on the stove.  The next morning "Maverick" was kind enough to find containers to transfer it into.  It sat in the refrigerator until Saturday.  

 I knew it would taste better after a couple of days.  All the soup was eaten, which did please me.  I made a double batchof cornbread (as I was feeding 13 people), of which there were three pieces left over.  Now that is a complement.   

Most of Saturday afternoon was spent inside just talking.  That's because the weather was cloudy and raining.  

 I went to bed kind of early, as the clocks were due to turn an hour forward.  So I wanted to make sure I was refreshed for our Easter Sunday.

Serving Jesus, Author of our faith.
"Lady Helene"

No comments:

Post a Comment