Friday 25 March 2016

2016 Stations of the Cross





          Brought up as a Protestant Christian, I thought only the Catholic Church provided services for the Stations of the Cross on Good Friday.  I was unaware that the Church of England provided opportunities to corporately worship, focusing on Jesus’ journey from the Mount of Olives in the garden of Gethsemane to the tomb. 
 
Gethsemane and Pilate Washes His hands
        
For the past few years I have joined the service at St. Mary’s.  Since the building is small, the stations are indicated by poster-sized illustrations, providing focus.  Each station has a caption, written by the artist. 
          Two readers guide the service; at each stop there is a narrative reading based upon scriptures.  Then there is a song by the choir, or a hymn sung by the congregation.  (One is usually, When I Survey The Wondrous Cross.)  The second reader reads a prayer, which also has a response. 
    
      The last Station is the tomb.  The service takes about an hour-and-fifteen minutes. 
          As I pondered the death of Jesus, I realised that I could never truly relate to the disciples on the first Good Friday.  I can acknowledge the confusion, the fear, the anger and frustration.  But I have grown up knowing that Jesus DID rise from the dead.  The disciples truly must have been bewildered by Jesus voluntarily going to the cross and experiencing death.  They had to live through those two nights when Jesus’ body was in the grave.  No wonder the Disciples were stultified by the news that Jesus had arisen.  They had hope; Jesus had called Lazarus back from the dead.  But His resurrection was like the thing that is expected, yet shocking when it does happen. They were "Gob-smacked" when they learned of His victory over the grave.
          The first disciples experienced a very different “Good Friday.”  It wasn’t until Sunday morning they could revel in “He is Risen!”  Today, I am living in the “He Is Risen”, while still remembering His walk through suffering and sorrow.
Serving Jesus, Author of our faith,
“Lady Helene”



1 comment:

  1. Lovely, and so agree about how we can't fully enter into the Disciples' experience of Good Friday. See our Stations of the Cross on my Facebook timeline (are you a friend on FB? If not you'll need to join me there to see ...) Happy Easter wishes.

    ReplyDelete