Thursday 4 February 2016

Introducing Harold Fry



                As mentioned in a recent, previous post, I used my “Couch Convalescence” time to read.  I used to read a lot when I was younger.  Although watching television is not arduous in any way, it requires enduring annoying adverts and noise.  I have a bit of a hearing loss, so paying attention to conversations is necessary.   

                But reading is quiet.  You can stop at any time and pick it up again later.  Okay, if I’m preaching to avid readers, well, then I’m wasting time and space.  Let’s just say that for me, reading can be restorative as well as entertaining, without requiring a lot of energy.

                Last autumn, on a sunny morning, “Maverick” and I waited on Platform One at the local train station to catch a connecting train to Reading.  The express train from London, Paddington to Reading sped by; the silver hulk of train pulled the blare of the engine’s horn behind it, the wind stirring up latent litter and tumbling it across the concrete platform.   
On the brick walls hung posters promoting recent film and book releases.   The photos and fonts presented titles, displayed blurbs of reviews and recommendations and provided images of actors and other illustrations.  On more than one occasion I have made mental notes of these titles, and then researched them on Google later. 

A golden background, with the drawing of a pair of boating shoes caught my attention.  The following description stirred my curiosity

 When Harold Fry leaves home one morning to post a letter, with his wife hovering upstairs, he has no idea that he is about to walk from one end of the country to the other.  He has no hiking boots or map, let alone a compass, waterproof or mobile phone.  All he knows is that he must keep walking.  To save someone’s else’s life.”
          

              Borrowing a copy from the library seemed a good idea.  That is if I could remember once I returned home.  Then a serendipity provided me the opportunity to own a copy.  At the Women’s Day I attended with “Chantilly” last November, I found the book on a table, listed for £1.  I was delighted at the find, quickly putting my pound into the correct person’s hand.  “Chantilly” said that her pastor’s wife had enjoyed the book and gave it a good recommendation.

                So, here it was, two months later, and the opportunity for some uninterrupted time presented itself.  I stretched my legs out on the couch, snuggled back into the pillows that were scrunched up in the couch corner and adjusted the duvet.  Maisy found her spot on top and put her head down. 

                Opening the front cover of the book, and turning past the critiques, the author’s biography and the title page I entered into the world of Harold Fry.  It is immediately apparent that there is discord in the home and marriage of the Fry’s.  There is an underlying sadness.  Harold’s spring day is changed by the receipt of a letter from a former work colleague.  

                Harold’s life is tedium of retirement without a hobby, a marriage without communication and no sense of purpose to motivate him.  But the letter changes that.  His attempt to drop the letter into the closest mailbox turns into a literal and figurative pilgrimage.  

                The walk provides Harold the opportunity to:

·  Be ensnared by his words, which means he must complete the journey he started
·  Discover qualities about himself
·  Ponder the past and sort out memories
·  Realise the freedom that generosity brings
·  Forgive himself for his weaknesses
·  Face his fears

        As I read, I found myself challenged by Harold’s honesty, humility and determination.  This is a story that touches the emotions, because the reader can so relate to Harold, his wife, Maureen and even the people Harold meets along the way.  It doesn’t matter that these people are fiction, the reader grows to care about them.  It is a story of loyalty, kindness, and goodness in a world of disappointment, evil, meanness and grief.  It is a story of resilience. 
               
           Even though I couldn’t wait to read the final act of the story, I was also a bit bereft that my association with Harold Fry was at an end.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
 Copyright 2012.   
A Black Swan Book:  ISBN:  9780552778091;
                                              9780552779043
Transworld Publisher,
61-63 Uxbridge Road, London W5 5SA
A Random House Group Company

This is the link to get the book on Amazon in the UK.


I'm sorry I can't provide a link for it in the USA.  But I'm sure Goggle will take you to it.

Serving Jesus, Author of our faith,

"Lady Helene"

No comments:

Post a Comment