Wednesday 6 January 2016

Something for the sweet tooth



            The church calendar says that the 6th January is Epiphany, which celebrates the visit of the Magi to the Christ Child.  It is the 12th day of Christmas, and the final days of Christmas.  So, if I were a person who celebrated the 12 days, today would be the last day.  So I guess that is the last day for eating Christmas food, treats while starting an increase of intake of carrots, celery, apples and lean meat! 
            Speaking of cake, I have developed the reputation at church for baking good cakes.  Recently three different people asked me to bake birthday cakes for after church service coffee time.  I’ve been glad to oblige. 
One of the recipes I found in my Granny’s recipe box.  Someone had asked for a lemon cake and I thought I’d seen a recipe I could use in either my mother’s or grandmothers’ recipe boxes.  As it turned out, there was lemon cake recipe that required a box cake mix and a packet of lemon flavoured gelatine.  Since that was an American recipe, I didn’t feel confident trying to make it as I am not familiar with the British equivalent of those products.  A felt a scratch recipe was best.  I came across a scratch cake recipe for Orange cake.  So, I want to share that with you.  

            Lemon Curd is very popular here in Great Britain.  I thought using curd, which has the consistency of pudding, would be a nice change from a powdered/icing sugar topping.  

Here is the link to the lemon curd recipe I used.  I used freshly squeezed lemon juice.  I bought five fresh lemons from the local green grocer.  Before I scraped the zest off, I put them into the microwave for about 30 seconds each.  This made them super easy to juice.  After squeezing five lemons, my rings were very clean and shiny!  A nice side benefit!  http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/24336/easy-lemon-curd.aspx

The orange cake recipe came from the back panel of a box of Swans Down Cake Flour.  I’m not sure how old the recipe is, because Swans Down Cake flour is a product that has been produced since 1894.   http://www.swansdown.com/site.php.  You can even buy this on-line--just Google Swans Down to find it in the UK. 

Orange Cake
2 ½ cups sifted Swans Down Cake Flour
2 ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
½ teaspoon Salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ (4 oz.) cup butter or margarine*
2 teaspoons grated orange rind
1 ¼ cups sugar
2 eggs
3 Tablespoons milk*
¾ cup (6 oz.) orange juice
*or use vegetable shortening and increase milk to 1/3 cup

Method:
1)    Preheat oven to 375ºF/190ºC/Gas Mark 5.
2)    Grease and flour two 8-inch layer cake pans.  (I usually line the bottom with grease-proof paper to keep the bottom from sticking.  Sometimes it sticks even after being greased and floured.)  Set to side.
3)    In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
4)    Cream butter with orange rind.  Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
5)    Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
6)    Add about one-fourth of the flour mixture and beat until smooth.
7)    Beat in milk.
8)    Add remaining flour mixture alternately with the orange juice, beating after each addition until smooth. 
9)    Pour into cake tins.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.  Cool in pans 10 minutes.
10)   Removed from pan and finish cooling on racks.
11)   Frost/top as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment