Tuesday 12 January 2016

Homeless...



            In Matthew 26, we read the story of the woman with the alabaster box filled with precious perfume anointing Jesus.  When his disciples complained about the waste, He rebuked them.  He said that this act of worship by the woman was the anointing for his burial, and a special moment in history.  

But perhaps his disciples were a bit confused.  Just a few weeks before he had told the rich young man to go, sell all he had and give it to the poor.  So while Jesus acknowledged that there would always be the poor, He explained that He would be with them for only a short time.  

I believe that Jesus was inferring that we will have special moments in our lives to give Him special adoration.  Equally, we will always have an opportunity to reach out and bless the needy, disenfranchised, lonely, hungry and displaced.  

There were beggars in Jesus’ time.  On the streets of every city and town in our time we will see homeless people.  Every homeless person has a story.  Some are on the streets by choice.  But the majority are not.  

            I’ve known about the local charity, Slough Homeless Our Concern, (SHOC) for a few years now.  At SHOC we create opportunities for homeless people to get stable homes, learn new skills and find employment. We focus on three areas, crisis care, recovery and skills training. http://sloughhomeless.org/services/
 
Up to now I’ve not felt constrained to volunteer there.  But last autumn the vicars in our church announced that our parish was going to work with SHOC.  In 2014, SHOC initiated a Night Shelter programme, aimed at providing warm, dry sleeping accommodation during January and February, usually the coldest months of the year.  As part of Langley Parish’s Mission Action Plan, our churches felt it important to work with pre-existing organisations that were making a difference locally.  

Several local churches agreed to make their buildings available for one night a week.  Christ the Worker church (one of Langley Parish's three Church of England parish churches) is on the rota for Monday nights.  Volunteers from all three parish churches are scheduled to cook a meal, spend time talking with the homeless guests, providing breakfast in the morning and the clean up after the guests have gone.  

When I heard about the programme, I signed up.  One benefit of joining the volunteers is that I get to know people from the other two churches in our parish.  

Last night was my first evening at the Night Shelter.  For many of us, it was the first time doing such a venture.  There was apprehension, as none of us knew what to expect.  We wanted them to experience the love of Christ.  And most of all, we didn’t want to make them feel judged.  

We were told to expect about 20 people.  But we were surprised as there were only seven of them.  There were twelve volunteers—and we hoped the guests didn’t feel overwhelmed.  “Moe”, the Night Shelter supervisor, told us that usually the first two weeks numbers are low.  But as word that the shelter is up and running gets on the street, numbers increase.  

The guests seemed to settle down quickly as we offered them tea or coffee.  When “Dinner is served” was announced, all of them were eager to eat.  A few of us sat and talked with them while they ate, which they enjoyed.

What I learned is:

  • Even though people are homeless, those on the street are a community.  They look out for each other, are generous with each other. 
  • Every person has a story as to why he/she is homeless.  It isn’t always alcohol or drug addictions that cause homelessness. 
  • Not only do people lose accommodation, they lose pets, family members, access to health care, and support systems.
  • Homelessness is not an issue that can be the sole responsibility of the government.  Even the best programmes have loop-holes and cracks that people fall through.
  • Within ten minutes of meeting, my heart could break for the people I met and talked to.  I was left aghast at the circumstances some of the guests had experienced.  
  •  Some homelessness is caused by broken relationships.


In 1988 I had a difficult few months after I returned home from my Discipleship Training School (DTS) with Youth With A Mission (YWAM).  I had sold my car before I left for the DTS, so I needed access to either a bus line or to live within walking distance to work.  Before I left for England, I had been living with a middle –aged couple from my church.   Four and a half months later, circumstances had changed and that room was no longer an option.  My parents lived 60 miles away from Indianapolis; I needed to be in Indy to find work.  

I was so in love with England and YWAM that I had made up my mind to work for a year, get a missionary visa and return to England.  My parents felt that I should stay in Indiana, and be close to home.  

A single young lady at church had a two bedroom condominium.  She was willing to rent a room to me, which was lovely.  But over the course of four months I could find only short-term, temporary jobs. I got behind on my rent payments.  I was riding the local bus, but it was a limited service.  Without a car, my employment opportunities were limited.  And without a job I couldn’t buy a car. 

During those days of frustration, I was “arm-wrestling” with God.  I knew that the Bible said to honour my parents, so that things would go well with me.  It was obvious that things were not going the way I wanted them to go. 

By late September things came to a head when I was asked to move out of the condominium, as my work record was questionable and I behind with paying rent.  This was not the young lady’s desire, but at the insistence of her father.

This was the point I could have been homeless.  But, my gracious sister let me sleep on her futon during the week, and then take me out to my parents for the weekend.  

That first weekend I went out for a long walk and talk with God.  Once again the scripture came to my mind: 
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honour your father and mother,” which is the first commandment with promise: “that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth. ”  Ephesians 6:1-3   

With the knowledge that God already knew my heart, I threw a temper-tantrum.  It just wasn’t fair that I could not go work with YWAM.  I felt as though God had rejected me, as I knew others in my school were going back to receive further training or join staff.  But the principle of honouring my parents had been proven over and again.  By the end of the walk, I had surrendered my will and accepted His will.

Within two weeks I had a car, a job and my own flat.  I was able to quickly pay off my debt to my friend.  She had believed me all along that I would, but it did feel good to have it cleared.  

But I will never forget the feelings of “What now?”  “Where am I going to go?”  

God blessed me by giving me a sister with a generous and loving heart.  I am forever thankful.  

When the woman with the precious ointment poured it over Jesus’ feet, she was preparing Him for not only the burial after the crucifixion, but for His going home, to heaven.  We, here on earth today, do not have the opportunity to physically touch and speak to Jesus.  However, when we do any act of kindness in His name, we do it to Him.  

Maybe I cannot personally provide accommodation to a person who is currently existing on the streets.  But I can offer the kindness of listening, sharing a laugh and certainly praying.  It’s the least I can do, since I know how close I came to being out on the streets myself.

Serving Jesus, Author of our faith,
“Lady Helene”

No comments:

Post a Comment