Thursday 14 January 2016

Cooking again, meeting demands



          During the autumn of 2013 I joined an on-line dieting and healthy-eating website.  It was a successful time, and I lost about 15 pounds.  I got bored, and realised that I wasn’t making the best use of the website and cancelled my subscription.  I managed to lose some early in 2015.  But towards November last year I was sliding back into bad habits. 
          My intention was to create my own four-week menu plan, posting it in my kitchen.  This project got interrupted; over the last couple of months I’ve been preoccupied with other things.  So, I decided that I needed to make it a priority.  So today I’ve been working on it—between taking Maisy out for walks, doing lunch and eating dinner.  (Maverick cooked tonight!)  I still have a couple of days to complete and recipes to organise.  Then I will print it out, laminate it and post it in the kitchen.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
          It seems I like to post photos on my blog.  I think it is because I loved picture books and illustrated books when I was growing up.  On Tuesday I took a photo of another dish I made. 
          I saw a recipe for seafood enchiladas.  You can find the link here.Seafood Enchiladas 


        Inspiration tickled my brain and I decided to use some leftover mash, add some tuna to make my own recipe.
Tuna and Bacon Enchiladas

Ingredients
4 rashers of lean bacon
1 can of tuna (spring water or in oil, it doesn’t matter), drained
8 oz shredded cheese
½ to 1 cup of mashed potatoes
1 medium onion
4 ten-inch tortilla wraps (large)
1 cup double cream (UK) – half-and-half (USA)
½ cup soured cream
¼ cup melted butter
1 teaspoon dill
1 ½ teaspoon parsley


Method:
1)    Pre-heat oven to 180ºC/ 350º /Gas mark 4.
2)  Chop onion finely
3)  Cook bacon until well browned.  Once done, chop up into medium pieces.
4)  Place left over mash into a large bowl.
5)   Add in onion, 4 oz. shredded cheese, chopped bacon and herbs.
6)  Add in the drained tuna.
7)   Mix well.  Add a bit of milk if it seems too stiff.
8)  Heat tortilla wraps in microwave.
9)  Divide the filling into four parts, placing it in the middle of the tortilla.
10)                     Roll the tortilla up and place it in a 9” x 13” baking dish.
11)                       In a small pan, pour in cream, soured cream and butter, garlic powder, dill and parsley.  Heat over a medium heat until luke-warm and well mixed.
12)                      Pour over the sauce over the enchiladas. 
13)                      Sprinkle remaining shredded cheese over the top.
14)                      Bake for 30 minutes.

The mashed potato makes it very filling.  
 ----------------------------------------------------------
          The last couple of photos are of Maisy.  Being clever, she is always surprising me with her antics.  On Tuesday, Maisy started barking.  She was in the lounge and I was in the kitchen.  So I turned around to see what she was going on about.  
          On the radiator was the broom brush without the handle.  When she was a puppy, she started playing with it.  Since the handle is long-gone, we’ve just let her chew on it as a toy.  Maisy wanted that brush.  She jumped up on the chair, hoping she could reach it.  She couldn’t, so she was “Asking me” to get it down for her.  Being so cute, I had to say yes!
 
Serving Jesus, Author of our faith,
“Lady Helene”


No comments:

Post a Comment