Saturday 31 August 2013

I thought they were donuts!



                A few weeks ago The Maverick came in after work, after I’d gone to bed.  On the table was a brown paper bag.  The paper rustled and crackled as I lifted it.  Upon first glance I thought the bag contained donuts.   But I was baffled when I touched them.  They didn’t feel greasy, or powdery from icing sugar.  Instead, they felt smooth.  I took one out of the bag.  Hmmmm…it was fruit!  More exactly, it was a peach! 
                Never before had I seen a peach or nectarine shaped like a flattened ball!  When I bit into one, I saw the flesh was not a deep golden yellow, but rather a creamy white.  They were perfectly ripe, and the flesh pulled away easily from the stone.   Being small, it didn’t last too long. 
                Today, (31st August) The Maverick went out to pay bills and deliver the churches’ newssheets.  When he returned, he began handing white plastic bags to me:  bananas, oranges, a small watermelon, honey dew melon, large peaches…and “donut” peaches. 
                The sky is clear blue today.  A breeze that is almost cold in the shadow is dancing with the tree limbs.  It is just too nice a day to spend it all inside.  So, after I finish cleaning up the kitchen, I’m going over to the “Fun Day” at one of the parish churches.  It’s a good 20 to 25 minute walk.  A live band will be playing.  They will have a raffle, a baked good stall to buy biscuits (cookies) and cakes as well as serving a cream tea or burgers.  It’s a perfect day for cooking outside.   Most likely, no donuts…but I’ll be happy with scones, jam and cream. 
Serving Jesus, Author of our faith,
“Lady Helene”
                  

No comments:

Post a Comment