Thursday 14 February 2013

Boots and a Bag

     After five days off, The Maverick returned to work--and worked a double shift.  What a way to spend his Valentine's Day.  

     But I'm not complaining.  On Monday The Maverick met me in town and we had a lunch date.  It was a cold, overcast, day with snow falling until about 2.00 pm.  

     On Tuesday, The Maverick prepared eggy-bread/french toast with bacon for breakfast.  Yummmm...  Then we made plans to meet up in town again.  Only this time it was to be about 3.00 pm, as my sewing class is from 12.00 pm to 2.30 pm.  

     Since I've been bitten by the sewing bug, and been taking classes, the kind of tools I need and want are becoming more apparent.  So, I ordered a rotary cutter, a self-healing cutting mat, and 25 yeards of continuous zipper.  Amazon is a great place to buy items from several different merchants.  The Fiskars Rotary cutter arrived on Monday.  Also on Monday, a card was delivered from the post office saying a parcel for me was waiting at the sorting station, as it was too big to deliver.  Believing it was the A1 sized (33" by 23") in a flat box, I thought I'd have to pick it up after class.  But, The Maverick offered to pick-up the parcel from the post office while I was in class.  He had time to get it, take it home and then come back into town to meet me.  

     After my class, I was heading out the door from the Learning Centre when my mobile rang.  It was The Maverick.  We confirmed where  in the bus station we would meet.  Walking at a moderate pace, I was at the station in about 10 minutes.  

     Smiling as we approached each other, I noticed the crooked grin on The Maverick's face.  He'd done a little shopping--because a green bag hung from his hand.
     "Hold our your hand."  he instructs.  He then produces from the green bag a bunch of green grapes.  That's perfect!
      "I am so hungry.  I didn't even leave class for a cup of water today."

     "Oh, and here's this! 
     "What is it?"
     Into my hand he puts a parcel that is about 9 inches long and twelve inches around.  Obviously this is NOT a cutting board.  Instead, it was the continuous zip kit I ordered.  :-)  

     We both laughted as we walked toward the coffee shop.  The Maverick saw a bargin of a cup of tea and a piece of cake for £2.50.  That is a good deal.  I nibbled grapes as well and felt my energy levels rise for our shopping trip to Windsor.


My new boots--A Valentines's Gift? 
     Since the weather has been snowy, cold and wet, he decided that I might like to have a pair of solid hiking boots; with a firm traction and waterproof, (gortex if possible.)  Millets is a camping store, and it was only after we got to Windsor that we learned that they were closing.  We went down Peascot Street, and found that Millets was decorated with "Closing Down" posters in the window.  We went in, but found nothing that we liked.  

     However, we meadered over to Cotswold, another outdoor gear store.  A friendly, informative and attentive Scottish lad waited on us, giving us good information as well as finding shoes for us to try on.  This time, my feet were fitted nicely and The Maverick asked it I wanted them.  After a few minutes of mulling, I decided yes.  
     
     The clocks were indicating it was getting onto 5.00 pm. and I still wanted to go to C&H Haberdasher/craft shop.  It was just around the corner and I left The Maverick to try on shoes himself.  

     I had a bit of a look about, and spent at least 10 minutes trying to decided on a pair of shears--how long did I want them, which make was the best quality, how much did I feel I wanted to pay for them?  Once I decided on a pair of Fiskars, I picked out a few other bits and bobs.  As I was browsing over the remnants, the lights flickered.  That blatant hint that it was closing time.  Okay...no material this time.  I still have lots at home to use up!  

     The Maverick was outside the shop waiting for me.  He decided not to buy himself any boots.  

     We rode the bus home and enjoyed the rest of our evening in front to the television.  And that's why I'm not complaining about The Maverick working on Valentines' Day.  We just had it early. 

     Today, I finished a hand-bag for my friend and prayer partner.  It matches an outfit that I previously made and gave to her.  I'm truly looking forward to giving it to her.  

     I hope my cutting mat comes tomorrow.

     Serving Jesus, Author of our faith,
     "Lady Helene"

No comments:

Post a Comment