Thursday 8 November 2012

High-lites from the last eleven days...



            The sun is out today.  The building holds the damp and cold, so I want the heating on.  Outside in the sun, it is mild, a good day for walking in the park or, as "The Maverick" prefers, a bike ride.  It feels warmer outside than it does inside, because the sun still gives off some heat.
            I know, I did so well for a about a week, trying to blog on a daily basis.  So what happened?  Well, my oldest grandson, “Bellman” arrived on Sunday evening for a week-long visit.  He was on his mid-term break. 
            On Sunday evening, 29th October, an All-Souls service was held at St. Mary’s to remember family members and friends who had passed away—whether the bereavement was recent or long standing.  Some people had buried people just days before.  Others of us have missed the presence of our loved ones for years.  I added names to the list to be read out—my father’s, my uncle (mother’s brother), John’s father’s and mother’s.  Scattered memories from the years flashed through my mind as I heard the names; knowing these people have shaped my life.  After going forward for a blessing, we were allowed to light a candle of remembrance. 
After the service, coffee and tea with biscuits/cookies were served.  I’d volunteered to help serve coffee and tea.  “Bellman” was especially helpful, helping with the washing-up afterward. 
            “Come on, “Bellman” we’re going to go pick up pumpkins.”  It was mid-morning on Monday and the first day ofour week together. 
When I’d announced to “The Maverick” that I’d ordered two pumpkins from the local green-grocer, he was perplexed.  “What for?”  his brow furrowed with confusion.
“Pumpkin bread, pumpkin soup, pumpkin biscuits (cookies), and not to mention pumpkin pie.”  I shot the answer back to him.  “You know I don’t celebrate Halloween.”
I pulled the back-pack on over my coat and “Bellman” and I took the five-minute walk to the shops.  The two pumpkins weighed about five pounds each.  One was packed into the back-pack.  The other one had its own carrier bag.  Next “Bellman” and I stopped at the local Co-op store for milk and bread.  Relief and thankfulness were at the forefront of mymind because the wirey, lean teenager that “Bellman” is, found the burden of groceries light.  I would have struggled under the weight. 
Once home, “Bellman” and I washed the pumpkins, cut them in half and put them in the oven.  I prefer to bake pumpkin and hard squashes first, then scoop the cooked, softened pulp out; to me it’s the simplest approach. 
I managed to get about 16 cups of pumpkin pulp—most of which was put into containers in the freezer.  I set “Bellman” to work making pumpkins biscuits/cookies.  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/iced-pumpkin-cookies/detail.aspx.  Whilst he soldiered on with only me for reference, I was busy scooping out the pulp of the second pumpkin.  The biscuits were lovely—although we put on too much icing. 
************
Monday was “Bellman’s” and my first day to do some Bible study together.  “Bellman” is almost 15.  He’d not been introduced to methods of studying the Bible.  With a concordance, a notebook and a Bible each, we began reading in John 1, reading five verses each.  Let me tell you, “Bellman” asks good questions.  To review ideas I hadn’t meditated on recently was a great enrichment. 
At one point I went and got my Amplified Bible, to give him an idea of the difference in Bibles.  I made a point of telling him that having a Bible you like to read creates an appetite for reading the word.  I also said that a paraphrased Bible is good way to get familiar with the Bible and what is in it; i.e. The Message.  However, to do deeper study, it is better to have a more accurate translation; e.g. The Revised Standard Version, New English Standard, New King James. 
We were talking about the Holy Spirit, who He is and what He does.  This was when I read to him out of my Amplified.  “(25) I have told you these things while I am still with you.  (26) But the Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, Standby) the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things.  And He will cause you to recall (will remind you of, bring to your remembrance) everything I have told you.” John 15.
At this “Bellman” began to laugh.  Now, “Bellman” is affect by Asperger's disorder, a developmental disorder associated with autism.  So, I’ve learned that his brain works differently than most people’s   Squashing the initial temptation to be irriated, I gently asked him; “Why are you laughing?
“Because that’s like reading a Thesaurus.”  His eyes were dancing. 
Being very familiar with the Thesaurus Dictionary myself, I giggled with him.  “You’re right!  It is.”
To understand this next anecdote, I must mention Richard Branson.  He is the English businessman who started out selling cut-rate records by post in 1970.  Now he is a multi-millionaire with successful businesses in sectors ranging from mobile telephony, travel, financial services, leisure, music, holidays and health & wellness.  http://www.virgin.com/  The company is called Virgin and the logo is all red and white. 
The vicar’s wife had organised a social evening for anyone from the currently running Alpha Course; this was on Monday night.  “The Maverick” was at work, so “Bellman” and I walked over to the vicarage on our own.  On the way we were talking. 
“Everything happens by age in this country.”  “Bellman” stated.  “When you’re fourteen, you can legally stay at home by yourself for a few hours.  At fifteen, you’re allowed to stay home at night by yourself. “ 
We laughed at a scampering squirrell as we made our way along.  “Bellman” continued.  “When you’re sixteen, you can legally have sex.  When you’re seventeen, you can get your beginners’ driving license.  When you’re eighteen, you’re allowed to drink.  When you’re 21, you can vote.” 
Hopeing to be a good influence on him, I said: “I know you’re almost 15.  And as a Christian, I hope that you’ll stay a virgin until you’re married, and stay faithful to your wife after your marriage.  And I hope your wife will also be a virgin when you get married, and stay faithful.”
“Bellman” giggled each time I said “virgin”.  I wondered if I’d embarrassed him, by using the word.  As with any teenager, I didn’t know how much his parents talked to him about this; nor how comfortable he was discussing it with his Nana.  Experience told me to find out what was going on in his mind.
“’Bellman’, why did you laugh everytime I said ‘virgin’?”  trying to sound curious and not judgemental.
“Oh, because everytime you said it, Richard Branson and Virgin trains come to my mind.”
“That is funny!  That little red lable popping up in the mind.”
The subject changed and we made our way to the vicarage for an evening of snack food, conversation and drinks.  In the end there were only six of us—which made conversation easier to join in. 
On Tuesday evening, “Bellman” joined the bell-ringers at St. Mary’s for the evening.  He really enjoys the activity and the company.
Another blessing of  having “Bellman” with us, was that he readily did the washing up whilst I got on with other things. 
************************************************  
Whilst I was at the Parish Office on Wednesday, “Bellman” and “The Maverick” went for a bike ride.  “The Maverick” really challenged “Bellman”—as the bike was borrowed and a bit big for “Bellman”. 
Thursday morning, after our Bible study, “Bellman” and I re-arranged the furniture in the lounge.  It’s the time of year I want to create space to put up the Christmas tree.  Plus, I’d organised a dinner party for Tuesday evening.  
************************************************
By Thursday afternoon, a bit of chaos had started.  “The Maverick’s” youngest daugther, "Floss", was getting married on Friday.  Whilst “The Maverick’s” daughters were in town getting manicures and running errands, “Mr. Biz” brought up “Bellman’s” syblings.  It was a chatty time.  As it turned out, since my prayer partner was here, she got to meet them. 
The wedding was on Friday, so I took the day off from the Parish Office—making up the time on Saturday.  I’ll write about the wedding in a seperate post. 
“Bellman” went home on Saturday, with his family.  They’d stayed over-night at a local hotel. 
Sunday I was tempted to stay home, but decided that Church was a better option.  I was alone Sunday afternoon, as “The Maverick” was at work.  I spent the afternoon editing wedding photos. 
Sunday evening I had an appointment to keep.  By 8:30 pm our time, it was about 6:30 am in Australia.  I signed into Facebook, to find that “our Australian” daugther, “Princess Kaz” was already up—and had been awake since about 4:00 am her time.  I guess getting married can make you sleepless! 
“Princess Kaz” and “The Maverick” had scheduled a skype session for 9.00 pm UK time on Sunday night.  Which meant we’d be chatting on skype at 8:00 am on Monday, 5th November in Australia.  Late Autumn connecting with early Spring—one continent in the north in touch with one continent in the south.  Amazing. 
Yes, the first weekend of November was a wedding weekend for two couples dear to us!  To be in England for “Floss’s & Harry’s” was natural; as “The Maverick” needed to be on hand to walk his baby-daughter down the aisle. 
We’d been invited to Australia for “Princess Kaz’s” wedding to “BayBikeBoy” on 5th November.  Practically speaking, attending a wedding in England of 2nd November, then trying to get to Australia by 5th November wasn’t feasible.  However, thanks to technology, Skype allowed us to speak to “Princess Kaz” on the day.  Because of a webcam, I had a chance to see the Bride with her make-up on—but still in her robe.  I didn’t feel left out, even though “The Maverick” and I couldn’t be at the ceremony.
With Facebook, we’ve seen a few photos of both weddings.  
October 22nd is “The Maverick’s” birthday.  Three weeks later, 19th November, is mine.  I found the date closest to the middle and scheduled a dinner party for 6th November. 
The thought of trying to do all the cooking on Tuesday seemed overwhelming, as I was cooking for nine people.  I made the decision to miss a Monday sewing class, as I was also still tired from being up late for “Floss’s” wedding.  That way I could have a lie-in, still cook in the afternoon on Monday and hopefully not be too tired on Tuesday to enjoy the party. 
As it turned out, the sewing instructor rang to say her son was ill and the sewing class was cancelled.  So, I ended up missing nothing. 
The dinner party was great fun...
     This has become a long post...but to be expected after eleven days. 
     Saturday is our Parish Away Day.  But I hope to squeeze in another blog about the wedding at some point. 
            In the mean-time, I’ve given you another taste of life for us.  
Serving Jesus, Author of our faith,
Lady Helene

3 comments:

  1. Hahahaha Really funny, this one. :) The bike ride was a challenge for Bellman in more ways than one: it was a 30 year old road bike, which meant a (very) hard saddle and gear changers on the down pipe - never an easy thing to learn on tyour first ride. But he managed quite well, without any unexpected incidents at all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya thanks for the update, I really love having a peek through the window into your life - looking forward to reading more about the wedding day and would love to see more photos! Stay motivated :-) Keep writing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you to be in attendance on Floss's wedding day. I know how proud Papa's feel. We need to set up a Skype with the Tres Leches Ladies some time soon. Much Love - Evaporated Milk!

    ReplyDelete