Wednesday 17 October 2012

An unexpected offer



I was relieved on Monday when the overcast skies were rain free.  For the previous three Mondays I’d trudged through town clad in my long, green raincoat, with my back-pack weighted with paraphernalia for my sewing class.  Sweat made me damp inside my coat while the rain wetted the outside of the coat.  So though grey was the colour of the sky, there was a reprieve from the rain.
The old brick building was formerly a secondary school, so its well suited for a learning centre.  Because we’ve had such a wet summer and autumn, the heating has been put on.  This results in the room being very warm.  With an all-ladies class, I decided I would wear an undershirt/tank top under my shirt.  If the heat was too stifling, I would just take off the shirt.  The last two weeks I have been glad of this decision. 
My dress pattern
 Our instructor, Anita, has been teaching sewing for several years now, and her primary job is teaching stitchery and sewing skills.  She has taught us to take our measurements—which are best done by having someone else measuring us.  She has also taught us the method of transferring those measurements onto paper and creating a very basic top / dress pattern.  By learning this, it is the beginning of learning endless possibilities in making clothes. 
There are about eight of us in the class.  As with any class, there are people who catch on quickly—because they have some background and/or experience.  Equally others struggle—they just don’t “get it.”  (Rather like me and chemistry/algebra.)  I suppose because I’ve used pre-drawn patterns and done a bit of sewing, it has come to me rather quickly.  I have been helping one of the other ladies draw her pattern.  I’ve also asked Anita several questions about techniques. 
Bee's Was--a legacy
On the first day of class we were talking about threading needles and sewing machines.  I pulled out my Grandmother’s bee’s wax.  My Grandma used to pull the thread/cotton through the bee’s wax to make the last ½ inch of the thread/cotton stiff and thereby making it easier to stick through that tiny eye of the needle.  I shared this with the class, because using bee’s wax is such a big help.  At that point Anita said, “I have a feeling I’m going to learn a lot from you.” 
“I’m not sure about that.  But I know I will learn a lot from you.” I replied.
As I watched Anita explain about the pattern making technique, I flashed back to when I was  a young teenager spending time with my Grandma during summer holidays.  She had an apron patterns she’d marked off on old newspaper.  In my mind I felt a piece of a puzzle from my past lock into a puzzle piece of my present. 
On this past Monday, during the class some of us were chatting about our work.  I mentioned that I worked only two days a week.  At the end of class on Monday, Anita asked me if I worked full time. 
“No, I work on Wednesdays and Fridays.  I’m supposed to finish by 11:00 am; but I’m usually there till 2:30, sometimes later.  It just depends on what I have to do on the day.”
“So you have other time available during the week.  The reason I’m asking is because I run several after school sewing clubs.  I have about 10 schools and connections with several more.  I’m always looking for teachers to run them.  I’ve watched and I think you’d be a good teacher.  Would you be interested?”
My heart swelled with amazement and joy.  I hadn’t expected that.  Once again, someone had noticed my teaching bent.  There was a bit of a let down though.  “There’s only one little problem, Anita.  We don’t have a car.  I do drive and have my license.  But we don’t have a car right now.”
“Yes, that’s a big problem.”  Anita smiled.  “But, keep my number.  And when you get a car, let me know and we’ll talk about it.  I’m always looking for teachers and I have five teachers that work for me.  So just keep it in the back of your mind.” 
I left the class with one of my friends from the class to walk to the bus station together.  She agreed that Anita’s offer was a blessing and a good opportunity.  Certainly, I will consider following up with Anita.  I also hope to take more classes, so that we don’t lose touch and my sewing skills will grow. 
The offer makes me want to focus more on sewing and writing.  And with a big family, I will have multitudes of opportunities to make all kinds of things.  I don’t know where God is leading me.  But this unexpected offer made me think of Proverbs 18:16.  

16 A man’s gift makes room for him, And brings him before great men.

Who knows where my gifts will take me!
Serving Jesus, Author of our faith,
“Lady Helene”

3 comments:

  1. You would be a great teacher, of that, I'm certain. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvellous! Bet you went home with a smile on your face that day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did! And a gentle glow in my heart! And your baking looks marvelous!

      Delete