Sunday 20 May 2012

Post Number 100!

        This past week I’ve been mulling over what I wanted to write in this, my 100th post.  I thought it deserved something a bit significant.  It wasn’t because I couldn’t think of anything to write about that I didn’t post. 
        Something else was taking up my time.  Around Langley is the parish magazine.  It is produced by the Langley’s local churches for the people of Langley Village.  It is a 20-page magazine.  Originally the magazine was the project of David Tawney.  He edited and produced it.  The main focus was to produce it for the three Church of England congregations in the parish.  (These being St. Mary’s, St. Francis and Christ the Worker.  http://www.langleymarish.com/ ). Sadly  Mr. Tawney died  in October 2011.  Though he could no longer produce it, several people voiced the opinion that the magazine should be continued—myself included.  I suppose it is the case of a seed falling into the ground so that it can produce many more seeds. 
        After much discussion, the consensus of those involved decided that some changes should be made:
  • ·It would be good to include other churches in the parish—namely Langley Free Church,  http://www.langleyfree.org.uk/, and Holy Family Catholic Church,  http://www.holyfamily.co.uk/. 
  • ·It would be free to the public.  Previously, the magazine was supplied to subscribers.
  • ·The magazine would be published 10 times a year instead of 12.
  • ·The focus of the magazine would shift from being inwardly focused to being an evangelistic tool.
  •  
I was in Florida when the first two issues were produced.  I had expressed an interest in helping with the magazine before I left for Florida.  Now that I am back, I wanted to be involved in two ways:  one by writing articles and by taking over doing the layout (desktop publishing.) 
      Thursday morning I spent about four hours setting up the first template.  I had to do that before Friday morning, as I was to meet with Mr. B’ham, who is acting as the head of the magazine committee.  We spent another two hours tweaking the layout.  The good thing is that next month, all we have to do is change the articles.  The standard information is now in place; therefore it will take less time to prepare for the printer. 
      My productiveness has been invested in the magazine—which is why I didn’t get to writing a blog this week. 

      As a new week is presenting itself.  I wanted to share with you a picture from my mind’s eye that occurred during worship this morning.  A young lady was getting baptised this morning, so the service had a slightly different focus.  At the core of the service was our statement of faith, and standing with this young lady as she made a fresh start in her faith. 
      After her baptism was the communion service.  As I was meditating on Jesus’ death and resurrection, my imagination was filled with the image on Jesus on the cross.  The skies were in great darkness.  Jesus, tilted his head back, and with a great cry he proclaims to all heaven and earth; “It is finished.”  (John 19:30)  The words echoed through eternity—from the fall of Adam to the moment in the future of His promised return. 
      As Jesus breathed his last human breath, He bowed His head and gave up His spirit.  And at that moment, the veil that separated the Holy of Holies from the temple was torn from top to bottom.  According to Jewish tradition, when a man lamented at disaster, he would tear his garments from top to bottom.  When the temple curtain ripped, with the words “It is FINISHED” reverberating throughout  the atmosphere, it was as if Our Heavenly Father expressed His anguish over sin.  But he was also removing the power of the law that stood between mankind and the God-head.  No more playing hide-and-seek.  Rather, we could come freely, openly into His presence.  Justice was served.  It was done. 
      The beauty of that image stayed with me during communion. 
   
   My prayer for you is that you also will have moments when you can clearly come to practically and experientially know the love of Christ. 

Serving Jesus, Author of our faith,
“Lady Helene”

No comments:

Post a Comment