Wednesday 9 May 2012

Neck & Chest Protector
Finishing a project--it brings that sigh of pleasure and maybe a bit of pride.  And this one brought not only the satisfaction of completion and accomplishment, it brought with it a sense of relief.  Perhaps that's a unwise confession to make.  But since I started this project last year, I was concerned that it would be forgotten about for another couple of years before I finished it.  

  • For me, every project has several stages:

  • The excitement of beginning.  It's fresh, and if it's a new pattern, it's an adventure;
  • Measuring...and checking progress;
  • Encountering the new technique, trying to figure it out;
  • Consulting YouTube.com for teaching videos for help;
  • Conquering the new skill, then continuing it; 
  • Ignoring it for a while...I've gotten bored, finding it tedious
  • Rekindled interest...curious to see what it looks like finished, hating unfinished projects;
  • Persevering, until the excitement of only an inch to go..
  • Finally, finishing.  

After I got home from work, today, The Maverick and I were watching television whilst eating lunch.  I felt like just sitting for a while, and became interested in a programme.  That's when I decided that I was going to finish this chest protecter/dickie.  I'd been "knitting at it"--a few rows two or three days a week since I got home.  With only two inches left to knit on the neck, it demanded finishing.

These items were pretty popular in the 1930's and 1940's, instead of scarfs.  They fit nicely under a dress coat and looked smart.  

A couple of years ago a friend of mine came back from a visit to Eastern Europe wearing something similiar.  So, I became interested in making one.  Internet surfing took me to http://cs.oswego.edu/~ebozak/knit/troop-knitting/bernat/dickey.html

Once I had the front and back knitted, I stalled when I read the instructions, "Weave shoulder stitches together."  What did that mean?  And what's more, how did one do it?  First port of call was at www.youtube.com.  According to the videos, weaving knit stitches together can be done with a techique called the Kitchener Stitch.  I watched the video through a couple of times before I actually sat down and attempted doing it--which turned out to actually be easier than I expected.  

Once I had connected the shoulder, I picked up the neck stitches and used a set of double-pointed needles to knit the turtleneck.  

I think I may try knitting another one--but with larger needles and perhaps with a fancy stitch to be prettier.  But before that, I think I want to knit a little girl's sweater, or two.  It's by special request.  However, before I start another knitting project, it's time to get re-acquainted with my Singer.  

Serving Jesus, Author of our faith,
"Lady Helene"



1 comment:

  1. Great job :-) Have you read any of Debbie Macomber's books? The Blossom Street series is about a character called Lydia who opens a yarn shop in Seattle, you'd love it! It goes on introducing new characters through several books. A woman at my local library recommended the series to me & I'm so glad she did! Hope you have a good weekend and get a chance to finish up your balcony project. Have you tried gumtree.co.uk or Facebook marketplace for a bistro set? Good Luck xoxo

    ReplyDelete