Tuesday 10 April 2012

Sunshine...

Sunday was Easter.  I missed being home at St. Mary's Church of England, Langley, to celebrate the annual remembrance of Jesus's Resurrection from the dead and our salvation.  I didn't attend church here.  The richness of worship is minimized when I can't share it with people with whom I am in relationship. 

I got sunburned on Sunday.  No, I wasn't at the beach.  Nor was at at the swimming pool.  I was standing at the end of the breeze-way, cutting my sister's hair.  It took us about an hour and the end result was like a sheep who has been shorn of a full winter's coat in the spring.  There was a beautiful breeze to make us comfortable.    The sunburn doesn't hurt, for which I am thankful.  Equally, I can't complain, as being just ten days away from finishing my three month visit, this is my first "red-neck" experience.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today's Mom-ism 

Every morning we have to give Mom about 10 or 11 pills/tablets.  Some of these are supplements, such as cranberry concentrate, vitamin C, etc; others are her prescribed medication for under-active thyroid and high blood pressure.  We will give them to here two or three at a time and usually let her know how many she has left. 

This morning I'd already given her two lots of three tablets when she took a break.  
"Mom, don't drink all your chocolate milk.  You still have pills to take."
Mom shook her head and took another drink.  I'm thinking to myself I'll have to go get her bottle of water if she uses all her chocolate drink.  

"Are you ready for the next ones?  I have three in this hand, and two in my other hand."

Mom looks a bit confused, shaking her head.  Then she says:

"Mommy, how many more meals do I have to eat before I'm done?"

"Five--are you ready for these three."  

Mom shruggs and opens her mouth.  In the mean-time I smile; despite the description of the pills being inaccurate, her question does have an odd, yet recognisable logic to it.  

I did have to go get the bottel of water for her to finish the job.  But at least there was no argument today as to why she has to take so many pills.  And for that I am thankful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 This beautiful creature is Bambina.  If someone from central casting were sent to find the perfect black cat, Bambina--aka Bina--is the perfect fit.  There isn't one spot of white on her. 

Bina came into the house shortly before Preacher.  She was a tiny cat and my sister caught her to have her steralised. 

For the longest time Bina hid under the bed, coming out only to eat and to see my sister.  It took a couple of years before she was friendly to the other cats.  She wouldn't hiss--just stare at them with "the look".  The other cats always backed off. 

Now Bina circulates around the flat/apartment.  She is affectionate and enjoys having her tummy rubbed.  If Sissy or I am in bed, Bina will climb on top of us to demand loving.  Her coat is so soft--like well worn sleeping flannel and smooth as silk. 

Bina now gets along with the other cats, most of the time.  She is an example of grace--belief that given time, patience, attention, affection and persistence, a wounded soul can respond and heal. 

By the way, did you know that stroking a dog or cat is a great way to relax, reduce stress and help to calm a person down?  Scientist have found this to be true.

Serving Jesus, Author of our faith,

"Lady Helene"
Bina with her back foot forward whilst sleeping.  That's her bare tummy showing as well.

2 comments:

  1. See, that's what I tell people when they ask why on earth I have six cats. It's cheaper than therapy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am really enjoying reading your blogs, especially about how your Mum is keeping and the cat-related anecdotes. You know I love cats! We have two at the moment that we adopted from a shelter in Omagh, a brother and sister called Mickey and Minnie :-) Love from Carrie-Anne xo

    ReplyDelete